Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin and for this reason it is mainly found in fatty foods. The main sources of vitamin E are vegetable oils (such as olive oil), avocados, nuts, coconut and, in lesser doses, in green leafy vegetables. Cooking at high temperatures (frying) and freezing for a long time can alter the state of vitamin E, so the intake of fresh foods and oils obtained from the first cold pressing is recommended.
It is a vitamin C with a powerful antioxidant effect , so it can be beneficial for the treatment or prevention of organic disorders related to oxidation, including aging: cardiovascular diseases, immune problems (asthma , rheumatoid arthritis, neuro-degenerative pathologies (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s), metabolic disorders (diabetes), etc.
Vitamin E in the form of tocopherol is the form more powerful chemistry. Although the recommended daily amount is 400 IU (270 mg), it has been stated that supplementation with therapeutic effects can reach 1000 mg / day of tocopherol. People with increased needs such as pregnant women, or people with oxidative pathologies, can benefit from supplementation with vitamin E.
Benefits of vitamin E for the skin
Among the beneficial effects of vitamin E, the care and treatment of the skin stands out. Numerous studies and our clinical practice support vitamin E treatment for skin disorders.
Free radicals are formed as a result of normal body processes. They cause damage that shortens the life of cells. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce free radical damage and slow the aging process of cells, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
– It is vitally important so that the skin can protect against UVB rays , pollution and other aggressive agents that produce free radicals that are harmful to the skin.
– It interacts with vitamin A , regulating its levels, so it has positive effects in the prevention and treatment of acne and other skin disorders.
– It has a powerful anti-aging effect of the skin. Useful for the treatment of skin affected by spots produced by aging.
– It exerts positive effects for the treatment of scars , especially after an intervention surgical.
– Very useful for the treatment of skin burned by the Sun or any other physical or chemical agent. Vitamin E supplementation is recommended for all those people who are exposed to the sun for long hours: athletes, workers, etc.
– Useful for the treatment and prevention of stretch marks , caused by weight gain or loss.
Starting in spring and throughout the summer, it could be wise to have a vitamin E supplement at home, with the aim of meeting the daily needs increased by exposure to the Sun and preventing premature aging of the skin .
How much vitamin E should I take per day?
The recommended daily dose (RDA) for vitamin E is 15 milligrams a day.
What are the side effects associated with the use of vitamin E?
- Gas (flatulence).
- Blurred vision.
- Increased serum creatinine.
- Increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke.
What foods are rich in vitamin E?
Vitamin E is found in vegetable oils, fruits dried, seeds, fruits and vegetables.
- Sunflower, safflower and soybean oil.
- Sunflower seeds.
- Peanuts, peanut butter.
- Beets, collards, spinach.
- Red pepper.
What is the best time to take vitamin E?
Multivitamin – Yes take a multivitamin, take it at noon with food. If no other supplements are being taken, take half in the morning and half in the evening. Vitamin E – Vitamin E can be taken with selenium and also with vitamins C and A.
Does vitamin E darken the skin?
Dark spots on the skin may be due to excess pigment (melanin), which is triggered by hormones or other causes. Called melasma, this condition is believed to be treatable through the use of topical vitamin E. Studies show that hyperpigmentation can be only moderately affected by the use of topical vitamin E oil.
Is vitamin E good for fertility?
Men with fertility problems tend to have low levels of vitamin E . In women, vitamin E can increase cervical mucus, making it easier for sperm to stay alive longer. Taking a vitamin E supplement may increase a couple’s chances of having a child.